Thursday, January 15, 2009

Have you hugged a Boomer lately?

I just read Boomer Hilary Kaye’s blog post in OC Metro.com regarding how she’s planning to read the new book “Grown Up Digital.” The post wasn’t Earth shattering, but I got a really good Boomer-vibe off it. Which got me thinking: I’ve been having some really good Boomer interactions lately. Could it be the X-Boomer conflict is finally over? Probably not. However, I decided in the spirit of all these positive feelings to write my Top 5 Boomer Qualities list:
  1. No matter how old you get, if you come from a post-Boomer generation, the Boomers will call you “kid.”When I was 27, it kind of bugged me. Now that I’m 37, I’m kind of digging it.
  2. They will never give up the notion that The Beatles were the best band of all time. I disagree, of course. But you have to admire that kind of dedication.
  3. They are in total denial that they’re getting old. I don’t know why, but this one just amuses me.
  4. They are the masters of generational spin. As a marketer, I can appreciate people who can always find a way to present themselves in the best possible light.
  5. It took some time, but they’ve really lightened up since the ‘90s and learned to laugh at themselves.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you nailed us! Your Top 5 Boomer qualities are pretty good. And, if the truth be known, some of my best friends are Gen X!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the denial of boomers aging...it amuses me too. I'm not sure why...

Le said...

Plus they will always have a story from the 'in my day' drawer - this gives me endless amusement ... le