Monday, May 12, 2008

May the force be with you




Last night I was watching the movie Star Wars on television. Guilty pleasure, I guess. However, as I was watching, I came to a conclusion: Luke Skywalker is a Gen Xer.

As I watched the movie, Luke’s experience mirrored the Gen X experience. And as I thought about the other episodes in this film series, everything started to come together.
It all started with a couple of peace-loving Jedi Knights – Obi-wan and Anakin. They were trying to make the galaxy a better place. I thought to myself, “Self, isn’t that kind of like the Boomers in the 60s?”

So then Anakin wants more. More power. More everything. Kind of like a Yuppie. He’s willing to do whatever it takes. At this time he sires two children who he doesn’t raise. Granted, he didn’t know they existed, but the result is still the same: Luke Skywalker is left to fend for himself.

Now the Empire has taken over. And everything has changed. The good-old-days no longer exist. Kind of like the 1970s.

At the same time, Obi-wan becomes this guy who is holding on to his ideals. He’s still wearing his Birkenstocks and he’s still trying to make the world a better place.

And in the end Luke Skywalker eventually shows his dad that he should strive for peace again and he saves the galaxy. Kind of like the Xers will save the environment.

So okay, I came up with this after two glasses of wine, but I still thought I’d put it out there.

No comments: