Sunday, April 27, 2008

Telecommuting rocks - but there are a couple things...


I love telecommuting. Seriously, it's the best thing that has ever happened to me careerwise. I've never been happier, more productive, and did I mention happier? However, there are a couple things that can get to me.


The first thing is telecommuter's guilt. It's that part of you that says, "Hey, I'm not miserable enough. Not tired enough." And this guilt leads to the Sunday afternoon guilt that says, "I could do some work. I'm just relaxing. Beer - work - beer -work - what should I chose?


What's interesting about this is that I've never been one of those workaholic types. When I worked in a traditional office, I was like Fred Flintstone - the whistle blew and I went running for the door.


4 comments:

JK said...

hey there. don't feel guilty. say yabba dabba doo.

also, no beer, no work.

Anonymous said...

Hey GenX - Isn't it amazing how we've all been conditioned to think that work must make us miserable and tired? And if it doesn't and we actually feel happy doing what we're doing - and doing it the way we want to - then we feel guilty... I think it's time for a revolution in consciousness :) I wrote a post on the subject recently called Labor of Love or the Daily Grind? I'd love to hear what you think. http://www.projectcreativevision.com/2008/04/labor-of-love-o.html

Anonymous said...

I found a way to stop feeling guilty, I moved to California. Here I make biz deals while drinking tequila. We work long hours but its fun and easy. Just pack your bags and move to a fun state like CA!

Unknown said...

GenX - stop with the guilt! If you're getting your work done, that's all that matters. Now if you're not getting your work done, that's another story, but we bet that's not your case. Keep rockin' it with the telecommuting and say "I'm a great worker" 10 times in front of the mirror every day.

Cali and Jody
www.caliandjody.com/blog