Monday, December 8, 2008

Those crazy Gen Ys...

I've seen a lot written lately about Gen Y's post college depression and I'm worried. Not because they're supposedly depressed, but because they are being labeled depressed.

When I was there age, they called that being a slacker. Which describes neither Gen X or Gen Y. To me it was the way Boomers saw what we were going through. And calling Ys depressed is just another way to make the younger people feel like they're not living up to their potential.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should give our Gen Y brothers and sisters a free ride. Getting through those first years out of college is a rite of passage that I believe is necessary if we're going to grow into strong, independent adults. But let's remember that we all went through this, too. And it wasn't fun to be labeled because of it.

2 comments:

Mo Morrissey said...

There's a lot to be depressed about economically to be sure, but you're spot on. Another label to identify what WE think they're going through.

Chris Benassi said...

I think that a lot of Gen Yers are depressed when they see how structured the real world is. All of the concepts and ideals that we were brought up with have to be placed in our back pocket since we have no say in the workplace.